Pistachio Bacon Guacamole
Taking a Great Dish to The Next Level
Avocados are a big part of the Californian epicurean culture. And for as long as I can remember, Avocados have been a part of my diet in one form or another. Homemade guacamole is one of my favorite recipes, especially during football playoffs and summer bbqs.
Inspired by Zona Rosa’s House Guacamole
For all the years I’ve chowed down on chips over a bowl of guac, it wasn’t until I had the house guacamole at the Zona Rosa restaurant in San Jose, California.
The Two Ingredients that Forever Changed the Way I Make Guacamole
Bacon and pistachios served in gaucamole? Ingenious! While I didn’t come up with that flavor combination (Zona Rosa restaurant did), I wish I could take credit. These two ingredients transports this party favorite to another level.
When serving, be sure to get enough for yourself before it’s devoured. It’ll go quick.
How to Safely Cut an Avocado
Use safe techniques when preparing avocados! With the rise in popularity of avocados, the term “Avocado Hand” is often used to describe hand-related injuries caused by slicing avocados. While there a couple of avocado slicing techniques out there, this video describes the safest method.
Less Mess Bacon Makin’
Anyone who’s made bacon on the stovetop knows what a mess it can make and what a process it is to clean up. To minimize mess and cleanup, there’s an alternate way to make bacon; roasting it in the oven. After using this method to prep bacon, I’ve never used the stovetop method again.
The following video, from America’s Test Kitchen, demonstrates how to cook bacon in the oven.
Pistachio Bacon Guacamole Recipe
- 3 whole avocados, ripened
- 1 juice from medium-size lime
- 1 clove garlic clove, minced
- 8 slices thick bacon
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, shelled (peeled, optional)
- 1/4 medium-size red or white onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 small jalapeno, diced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- Cook bacon until crispy. Pat grease off and set aside.
- Shell pistachios. Lightly roast if necessary. Set aside.
- Halve, pit and scoop avocado into medium mix bowl.
- Coarsely mash avocados with fork. Add lime juice, garlic, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, cumin and cayenne to bowl. Stir to combine. Add salt to taste. Place mixture in serving dish.
- Break bacon strips in half. Add them to guacamole so they're standing upright.
- Top guacamole with pistachios. Serve with corn chips.